Austin, located in central Texas, is well-known for a lot of things. “Keep Austin Weird” is its famous tagline, adorning shirts and stickers and displayed proudly by locals and visitors alike. The slogan refers to how much more left-leaning Austin is when compared to the rest of the state of Texas. Austin is home of Lake Travis, a lake consistently ranked as one of the top party lakes in the USA. It is known as the Silicon Valley of the South, where internet giants such as Meta and Google have large hubs. Austin attracts thousands every year to its well-known music festivals, South by Southwest and Austin City Limits, and also just happens to be the state capital.
For all of these reasons, Austin is a great place to work and live. Austin has a number of great natural areas for hiking and camping and is great for those who love the outdoors. It has great museums and tourist attractions, live music, shopping and so much more. While you could easily plan a week’s vacation to the city and not see and do nearly enough, you can hit the highlights in the long weekend that will leave you yearning for more time in ATX, the “Live Music Capital of the World.”
Five fun things to do in Austin
1. See the bats. Every night from March until August, hundreds of thousands of Mexican Free-Tailed Bats ascend into the night sky from the Congress Avenue Bridge. It is truly a wonder to see! You can watch from land for free or from the water on a chartered boat or kayak. Perfect for all ages- just prepare yourself for the smell!
2. Take a stroll through Zilker Park. You could easily spend a day or more here exploring everything this 351-acre park has to offer. Bike, walk or run the many trails through the park. The Austin Nature Center and Zilker Botanical Gardens offer lots of engaging and educational programming for all ages. Play volleyball or disc golf, play at the playground and much more.
3. Visit the Capitol Building, which is actually taller than the Capitol in Washington DC! Take a guided tour or self-guided tour (both are free) of this historic building that is a designated National Historic Landmark. There is so much to see and do in and around the Capitol that will give you an interesting snapshot of how the US Government works.
4. Let the kids learn and explore at The Thinkery. This indoor and outdoor children’s museum offers 40,000 square feet of hands-on fun for your little ones. Kids can learn as they play and experience everything this fantastic space has to offer. Let them explore and engage in activities that will challenge and excite them while you delight in their excitement.
5. Explore Austin’s well-known 6th Street district. Well-known as a spot to grab a drink or catch some live music, 6th Street has a lot to offer guests of all ages. Stroll the streets browsing the shops and grabbing bites to eat along your way. With so much to do and explore you could easily spend a whole weekend just enjoying this area, taking in the sights and sounds of Austin.
Austin has a number of incredible places to stay while you explore the capital of Texas. From swanky hotels to inexpensive hostels, Austin has a number of spots you can call home for a few days, a few weeks or even a few months. One spot you won’t want to pass over is Sun Outdoors Lake Travis. This RV resort offers up a number of hook-up options and features top-notch amenities for guests. From the sparkling pool to the workout room and everything in between, this RV resort has amenities to please every traveler in your party. And the prime location on Lake Travis is just the icing on the cake. Happy travels!