New Braunfels, German for “brown rock,” is a city of about 100,000 people situated between Austin and San Antonio, Texas. It’s a booming town and currently one of the top five fastest growing cities in the United States. Known for being the home of Schlitterbahn, a popular Texas waterpark, as well as Wurstfest, a 10-day celebration of the city’s German heritage each fall, New Braunfels is definitely a city you won’t want to miss in Texas. Popular for its German and Spanish roots, New Braunfels is part of Texas’ famed Hill Country and is a great spot for a vacation or weekend getaway.
Visiting New Braunfels in warmer weather is fantastic because there are lots of ways to enjoy the Texas sun with water activities in the area. However, there are lots of great activities for guests of all ages to enjoy in colder weather, too! Don’t skip this Texas city simply because it’s not summertime- pack your bags and head to this great year-round stop for fun with everyone in your travel party.
Five fun things to do in New Braunfels year-round
- Go dancing or listen to live music at Gruene Hall. Known for being the largest continually-operating dance hall in the state of Texas, Gruene Hall is a legendary Texas spot you won’t want to miss. Built in 1878, Gruene Hall has live music every day of the week and is definitely a spot to break in your new cowboy boots and have a great time.
- Get up close and personal with all kinds of creatures at Animal World and Snake Farm Zoo. Currently home to more than 500 species of animals, Animal World and Snake Farm Zoo originally launched in 1967 as a spot to see many different snakes. This is now a place where you can go and spend a day learning about animals and wildlife and enjoying the outdoors.
- Be a kid again at McKenna Children’s Museum. Your tiniest travel companions will love this hands-on spot where they can learn as they play. Kids can climb, jump, explore, imagine, create and so much more. Let the kids roam and play while you kick back and watch them have a blast.
- Grab a sweet treat from Naegelin’s, the oldest bakery in Texas. Since 1868, Naegelin’s has been serving up sweets to customers from all over who need to satiate their sweet tooth. From coffee cakes and donuts to kolaches and pies, every customer should be able to find something that please their palette here!
- Have an adults-only afternoon or evening at Dry Comal Creek Vineyards. On the weekends, enjoy a glass while you listen to live music and get a bite to eat from the food trucks that pull up on site (if there is no scheduled food truck you are welcome to bring your own food). Tastings are available, too, and reservations are strongly recommended. The vineyard is only to be enjoyed by patrons 21 and older.
New Braunfels lodging
There is no better place to stay in New Braunfels than the all-new Treeside RV Resort. Easily accessible from Highway 35 and resting on 45 acres of gorgeous Hill Country land, Treeside RV offers a slew of amenities to guests. From a fitness room to a pool with a tanning deck and a community room to on-site storage, Treeside RV has everything you could want in an RV Resort and then some! Check them out the next time your travels take you to the Texas Hill Country.
Leave a Reply ·