Less than two hours from Houston you’ll stumble upon the Bryan/College Station area of Texas. The large metro area boasts almost 300,000 residents and is most widely known as being the home to Texas A&M University, home of the Aggies. The university, established in 1876, was Texas’ first state institution of higher education, and the town of College Station was built around the university. Today, this area is a great place to live and work- and, of course, study!
Bryan/College Station offers a lot of fun for visitors, and you don’t need to be an Aggies fan to enjoy the area, although that certainly doesn’t hurt. The metro area offers up tons of fun entertainment for guests, from museums to natural areas and a booming nightlife scene. So grab your maroon and white gear and let’s head out to Aggieland!
Five fun things to do in Bryan/College Station
- Aggieland Wild Animal Safari– Enjoy seeing and interacting with animals up close from the comfort of your vehicle! Your 2.5-mile journey will allow you to see more than 75 species of animals throughout the park, including emus, zebras, ostrich and more. You can get out of the car and stretch your legs at the Walkabout Zoo, which is set up more like a traditional zoo. There is even a playscape for kiddos to burn off some energy.
- Brazos Valley Museum of Natural History– Learn about what life in the Brazos Valley might have been like for early settlers, and tour the Boonville Heritage Park, which features an authentic 1856 log cabin. Kids will love the discovery room, which offers up countless opportunities to learn about creatures big and small.
- Messina Hof Winery– The fourth largest winery in Texas, Messina Hof began in Bryan in 1977. Visitors of all ages will enjoy exploring the grounds and learning about the process of making wine, and those 21 and older will likely enjoy tasting the wines this well-known winery produces. There is an on-site restaurant with the excellent fare for before or after your tour.
- The George H.W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum– The 41st President of the United States led an exciting life full of public service and duty. Learn about his trial and tribulations as President, his military duty and so much more at this museum that is fascinating for all ages. The museum also hosts several rotating exhibits that will keep guests coming back to learn more.
- Santa’s Wonderland– Although this seasonal destination is closed for most of the year, it is a huge draw and lots of fun during the months of November and December. Guests of all ages will enjoy a whimsical visit with the big man in red and marvel at the light displays at Santa’s Wonderland. From a petting zoo to hayrides, this magical spot offers up tons of Christmas-y fun!
Bryan/ College Station Lodging
Hidden Creek RV Resort near College Station is an excellent choice for a home away from home while you visit Aggieland. Hidden Creek RV offers up more than 90 RV spots as well as a number of cabins, Hidden Creek also features a pool, clubhouse, laundry facilities, and seasonal activities for guests. With top-notch facilities, this sought-after RV resort will be a space you look forward to visiting year after year. Make your reservation early- this spot fills up fast, especially when the Aggies are playing at Kyle Field!
Photo credit: Photo 26518695 / Kyle Field © Bingram | Dreamstime.com