Legend has it that Corpus Christi, which in English translates to “feast of the body of Christ,” got its name in 1519, when a Spanish explorer discovered the tropical locale on the Roman Catholic Feast Day of Corpus Christi. Today, Corpus Christi is the largest city on the Texas Coast and the sixth largest port in the US. With a population of around 325,000 people, Corpus Christi is the eighth largest city in Texas and a true destination for fun, especially in the summer months.
If you are looking for a beach vacation, Corpus Christi is a great destination. In the winter, the temperature averagely stays above 50 degrees, and, in the summertime, the weather stays in the low 90s, which is cool, at least relative to summer weather elsewhere in Texas. Corpus offers a number of fun activities for visitors of all ages, encouraging them to learn while they play and to spend a few days soaking up some south Texas fun. Whether you want to kick back and relax on the beaches of Port Aransas or watch history come alive aboard the USS Lexington, plan a trip to Corpus Christi, Texas, for a fun and relaxing summer getaway.
Six fun activities for all ages in Corpus Christi, Texas
- Climb aboard the USS Lexington– History comes alive on this exciting vessel that was active during World War II. The Japanese reported this ship sunk four times during the war, and yet she stands still today and was the filming spot for the hit 2001 film, Pearl Harbor. Spend a day exploring all of its nooks and crannies and learning about what life might have been like for sailors on this ship more than 50 years ago.
- Learn about sea life at the Texas State Aquarium– From dolphins to jellyfish, learn about all sorts of sea creatures at the Texas State Aquarium. Catch a number of exciting live talks and shows that will help you learn about the work done by employees at this aquarium by the sea. Pack bathing suits in the summer months and let the kids enjoy the onsite splash pad, too!
- Soak up the sun at the Port Aransas Beach– Pack some snacks and a beach umbrella and enjoy the sunshine! You can drive on this beach to find the perfect spot to set up shop for the day. Stop by any area establishment to purchase a parking permit and don’t forget your sunscreen- that south Texas sun is no joke!
- Explore history at the Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History– Kids will love the HEB Science Center that enables hands-on learning at this fun museum. Adults will enjoy learning about the history of Corpus Christi as well as seeing artifacts from the largest shipwreck in the western hemisphere! This spot is perfect for a cloudy day in Corpus.
- Enjoy nature at the South Texas Botanical Gardens and Nature Center– Wander through 182 acres of beautifully-preserved Texas landscapes at this nature center. Learn about butterflies and birds and observe all of the species that call Gator Lake, an onsite wetland area, home. You won’t want to miss this picturesque look at the Texas Coast.
- Splish Splash at Hurricane Alley Waterpark– If the kids are looking for some wild fun, head over to Hurricane Alley Waterpark for an exciting time. Slide, swim, splash and play at this fun water spot. Kids can try their hand at surfing in the Shredder or enjoy some big waves in the Storm Surge wave pool.
Corpus Christi Campgrounds and RV Parks
When planning your vacation to Corpus Christi, there is no shortage of great places to stay, including Seabreeze RV. Seabreeze RV in Portland is a great option in the Corpus area for a number of reasons. With a heated swimming pool that is open year-round and a clubhouse with a host of fun activities, Seabreeze RV has a lot to offer guests to the area. Hook up your RV at one of the oversized spots, enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi and soak up the sights and sounds of South Texas!