San Marcos, Texas, population about 75,000, is a central Texas city located between Austin and San Antonio on I-35. It is home to Texas State University, is not far from famed Texas waterpark Schlitterbahn and offers year-round entertainment for visitors from all over Texas and beyond. If you are looking for a fun getaway in the greater Austin area this summer, you’ll want to add San Marcos to your short list!
Truly a spot to soak up the outdoors in Texas, San Marcos is a spot where Texans go to live it up in the sunshine. With a plethora of outdoor activities to keep you moving and grooving for a few days, San Marcos is the summer escape you didn’t know you needed. So grab your favorite bathing suit, your travel companions and let’s hit the road down to San Marcos, Texas, for some fun in the Texas sun!
Six spectacular summer must-dos in San Marcos
- Paddle SMTX. Ever been kayaking at night? In a glowing, translucent kayak? Well, what are you waiting for? Grab a beverage of your choice and hop on the 75-minute tour that takes place after the sun sets and allows you to explore the San Marcos River at night. You’ll get to see all kinds of aquatic creatures and beings as they come alive at night. A truly one-of-a-kind experience!
- Wonder World Cave & Park. There is so much to do at this spot it might be hard to know where to start. Considered the first show cave in Texas, Wonder World Cave was formed by an earthquake and can now be toured daily. On the grounds there is a petting farm, an anti-gravity house and more. Truly a destination to keep guests entertained all day.
- Rio Vista Park. Rio Vista is a 13-acre city-owned park with lots to do! Visitors can take a swim in the swimming hole or the city pool or kayak or paddleboard in the river. There are also hiking and biking trails if you’d rather stay on dry land as well as spots to play basketball and tennis. Whatever sort of outdoor adventure you’re after, you’ll find it at Rio Vista Park!
- The Meadows Center for Water and the Environment. Owned and operated by Texas State University, the Meadows Center is a great space for environmental education and adventures. Explore the marine life in a glass-bottom boat or get up close and personal with the aquatic creatures by snorkeling or kayaking. You can even scuba dive or attend a family fun day here. The possibilities are endless!
- Texas State Tubes. Nothing says San Marcos quite like tubing the San Marcos River! Grab your mates, rent some tubes and spend the day soaking up some sunshine as you relax in the water, taking in the gorgeous view down the river. Tubing is a fun way to bond with your travel companions and simply enjoy the outdoors. Adult beverages optional.
San Marcos lodging
After a fun day of outdoor adventures in San Marcos, you’ll want a spot where you can truly unwind and rest and recharge for another day of adventures. For this, you’ll want a wonderful spot such as Pecan Park Riverside RV Park. Located right along the San Marcos River, Pecan Park features a number of amenities to make you feel right at home during your stay. There’s an indoor pool and hot tub, a playground, a children’s library area and so much more. Book your stay today and enjoy everything that this Central Texas Hot Spot has to offer!