There is no time like the present to start to refocus on your fitness goals. With a new year comes a fresh start, and that means it’s time to accomplish a few things you’ve been putting off. And if one of those things is running a race, no matter the distance, there is no better time than now to start training and enjoying the journey. Running is a great way to get outside, clear your head and get your blood pumping. And it’s easier than ever before to find a group of people who share your running pace and desire to hit the ground, well, running. No matter where in the world you call home, chances are you can connect with a few people who would be happy to be an accountability buddy and help you reach your running goals.
The DFW area is hosting a number of exciting races this winter and spring that may just help jumpstart your love of running. From 5Ks to full marathons and party races to relays, DFW has a race for every type of runner. Whether you are wanting to break your own personal record for a race, cross your first (or 10th, or 100th!) finish line or simply add some new bling to your metal collection, DFW has something for you! So lace up your shoes and head to North Texas for a race to remember.
Five 2024 races you won’t want to miss in Dallas/Fort Worth
- Too Cold to Hold, Dallas: January 27, 2024; 5K, 10K and Half Marathon. Although North Texans don’t know cold the way, say, Chicagoans know cold, North Texas runners will likely have to bundle up for this fun race! With three different distances plus a virtual option, this race has something for everyone, including great swag! Run with gorgeous views of White Rock Lake in your periphery and celebrate with beer and bites after the race.
- Love on the Run, Irving: February 17, 2024; 5K, 10K and Half Marathon. Show off your love of running at this post-Valentine’s Day race. This course is fast and flat at starts at the Toyota Music Factory in Irving. Bring your loved ones or hit the ground running solo. With multiple distances, every love bird should find something that suits their style.
- The Cowtown, Fort Worth: February 24-25, 2024: 5K (kids and adults), 10K, Half Marathon, Full Marathon, Ultra Marathon. Behold the biggest race in Fort Worth: Cowtown! Bring the kids and make it a weekend, starting with the expo and ending with a race with your choice of distance. Those ready to try out a long distance can tackle the marathon while those hoping for a quicker race can check out the 5Ks on Saturday. The kids can race, too, so you can make Cowtown weekend a family affair!
- St Paddy’s Day Dash Down Greenville, Dallas: March 16, 2024; 5K. Get ready to run and then party afterward! The Dash Down Greenville is a fun way to kick off a massive St. Patrick’s Day Party on Greenville Avenue in Dallas. Be sure to wear green so you don’t get pinched and get ready for a great time- this is a party-pace race designed to get you moving before you spend the day having fun with your friends.
- Hachie 50, Waxahachie: April 20, 2024; Marathon, Ultra Marathon, 50M Race, Relay, Kids Races. Not for novice runners, the Hachie 50 is a seriously fun- and seriously challenging- race in Waxahachie. Run between 26 and 50 miles on your own, or team up with friends for the relay. Bring the kids and let them run in the kids’ fun races on the 19th to get their feet wet to the idea of running races. This one will require some training, and space is limited, so if you’re ready to take on this ultra-hard challenge, sign up today!
Dallas/Fort Worth lodging
After you sign up for a great race in DFW in early 2024, be sure and book your lodging. You won’t want to miss staying at Loyd Park in Grand Prairie, Texas! Centrally located right between Dallas and Fort Worth, Loyd Park gives you access to everything awesome in DFW. With more than 200 camping sites, there is space for everyone at Loyd Park. Guests can enjoy fishing, swimming (seasonally), hiking, campfires and more at this pretty space on Joe Pool Lake. It’ll be a great place to relax after you kick butt and take names during your race.