Houston, both the biggest city in Texas as well as the South, is a fabulous spot for holiday fun. Although the weather in Space City won’t get cold enough for snow, even at Christmastime (the average weather in December in Houston is in the low 60s!), Houston still has a number of ways you can get in the holiday spirit with family and friends. From visits with Santa to walk-through light displays, Houston has something for everyone on your list- naughty or nice!
So head down to Houston for a little fun in the Texas sun in December and you’ll get to soak up all the holiday magic in the myriad of events that the Houston area is hosting this year. If you are all about Christmas cheer, Houston has it in spades. Grab your favorite people and maybe a mug of hot cocoa and get ready to jingle all the way to holiday fun in H-Town.
Six can’t-miss holiday events in Houston for 2022
- Dasher’s Light Show (Humble)- Drive through one mile of marvelous Christmas lights that will have you oohing and ahhing. Guests of all ages will love kicking back in the comfort of their vehicle and watching the twinkling lights (maybe with a hot cocoa in their hands?). You can also choose to purchase an upgraded ticket that gives you access to a walk through event with inflatables, Santa photos, character photos and more.
- Houston Zoo Lights (Houston)- The zoo comes alive at night with thousands of colored lights meant to awe. Although the animals will likely be sleeping, the zoo itself will be alive with magic during Zoo Lights. Visit with Santa in his workshop, take glittering photos at all the fun displays and so much more. Zoo Lights is perfect for all ages.
- Magical Winter Lights (Baytown) – Stroll through eight unique themed sets at Magical Winter Lights at Houston Raceway Park in Baytown. More than six million lights await visitors in fun, interactive displays that will delight and inspire. There are carnival rides on-site, too, including a Texas-sized Ferris wheel, but be forewarned that this activities are not included in your general admission ticket to Magical Winter Lights.
- Festival of Lights at Moody Gardens (Galveston)- So many activities await visitors to Moody Gardens this December the hardest part of your day will be deciding where to start! Go ice skating at the skating rink, check out a holiday 3D film, soar down the arctic slide, snap a picture with Santa, catch a unique Cirque Joyeaux holiday show and more. Galveston may be a bit of a drive from Houston but Festival of Lights is totally worth the day trip!
- Holiday Lights (Sugar Land)- Ten themed areas, carnival rides, shopping, visits with Santa… Are you convinced you should head over to Sugar Land yet? Experience the magic of the holiday season at the festive Holiday Lights at Constellation Field. Be sure and check the schedule on the website because there are different themed nights where you can dress up or bring a pet to enhance the fun you’re already going to have when you go see Holiday Lights!
- Santa’s Wonderland (College Station)- True to its name, Santa’s Wonderland will truly feel as if you’ve entered a never-ending world of magical Christmas merriment. Play in real snow, go snow tubing or ice skating, visit with Santa or Mrs. Claus, take a hayride or sleigh ride… There is certainly no shortage of fun at Santa’s Wonderland in College Station. Grab the kids and get ready to be merry at this winter wonderland.
When you head to Houston for a holiday getaway, consider booking at stay at Summer Breeze USA RV Resort in Brookshire/Katy. With great seasonal rates in winter, Summer Breeze is a great spot to bring the family this time of year to enjoy the cooler temperatures in Texas. The resort itself features a number of amenities to keep guests happy and comfortable during their stay. Playgrounds and basketball courts will delight younger visitors while other might enjoy the fitness center. The campground has free Wi-Fi for guests as well as golf carts for rent. There is a covered hot tub for use year-round. Don’t skip a stay at Summer Breeze – it’s a perfect spot to lay your head down any time of year!