Sure, Texas is hot in the summer. So hot, in fact, that even if you aren’t from Texas, you’ve likely heard about the oppressive heat blanketing the state on the national news. But that isn’t stopping visitors and locals from enjoying the great outdoors. Evening activities, especially, are enjoyable in summer in Texas because you can skip both the sunscreen and the extra layers (but don’t forget bug spray or you will regret it!) and just head outside in shorts and a T-shirt with a big old jug of water to enjoy fresh air.
Summertime is a great time to head to the Lone Star State because there is simply so much to do. From festivals and concerts to amusement parks and waterparks, not to mention hiking, biking and enjoying the myriad of lakes in the state, Texas offers up something for everyone.
Houston is a great destination for summer travel in Texas because it offers all the hustle and bustle of the big city but is only about an hour from Galveston and the Gulf of Mexico so you can enjoy the city and the beach on the same trip. Check out these awesome outdoor activities in the Houston area for summer 2023 (and then decamp to the beach if you need some time to cool off after a hot trip to a cool city!).
Five fun summer activities in Houston
- Tour an urban farm on a rooftop. Skyfarm is a “one-acre urban food farm operated by Blackwood Educational Land Institute.” This not-for-profit farm hosts tours, volunteer days, camps and more to educate visitors of all ages about the importance of farming and community. The adjacent event space regularly hosts events of all types, including concerts, yoga and more. The educational fun you can have at this spot will blow you away.
- Embark on a haunted scavenger hunt- from your phone! The Haunted Outdoor Escape Game will have you running (literally and figuratively!) all over downtown Houston to discover some of the city’s most haunted places. You’ll have to crack clues and solve puzzles all while experiencing Houston in a whole new way. Just download the app and get ready for an engaging adventure!
- Catch the symphony under the stars. Pack a picnic and head out to enjoy the world-class Houston Symphony Orchestra perform beautiful music at family-friendly concerts that are completely free. That’s right- free! You can even BYOB, just no glass containers allowed. Prepare to be delighted by beautiful music in a picturesque setting.
- See your favorite movies outside on a rooftop in downtown Houston. Rooftop Cinema Club is playing all your favorite movies from bygone decades (and even recent movies) in a fun way. Arrive early, play yard games, order food and drinks and then take a seat on an Adirondack chair and get comfy. You’ll even get your own headphones to listen to the show, so kids who need to get up and run around won’t disturb other patrons. All this with a stunning view of the Houston skyline to boot!
- Play, splash, run- with or without your dog!- at Houston’s Levy Park. This park features a large kids play area that is free to use with lots of space to roam. The park also hosts a variety of activities in the summertime, many of them free, for visitors of all ages. Try out yoga or watch a family-friendly flick when the sun goes down. The possibilities for free fun at this park are endless!
A fun getaway to the South’s biggest city requires a great place to lay your head and night and get some great rest. Houston East RV Resort is just the kind of laidback, fun spot you are looking for in the Houston area. At this RV resort, guests can enjoy an arcade, fitness center, pool and more. There’s also a community fire pit as well as a basketball court where you can connect with other travelers and swap tips about vacation spots near and far. Happy travels in Houston!