According to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, Garner State Park, located about two hours west of San Antonio in Concan, Texas, is the most visited state park in the state. And with good reason! Garner State Park is comprised of 1,774 acres of scenic Hill Country terrain that offers something for everyone, from experience hikers to fun-seeking day campers. If you are planning an outdoor vacation near the Hill Country, you need to consider a stop (or a few days’ stay!) at Garner State Park.
Garner State Park: Things to Do
Situated along the Frio River, Garner State Park is a true destination for family-friendly fun.
- Guests can hike more than 16 miles of scenic trails throughout the state park.
- Try a hike up Old Baldy Trail to Old Baldy Summit, which has an elevation of more than 1,840 feet. It is only half a mile to the top, but it is rated as a challenging hike, so go at your own risk.
- Try a challenging hike down Crystal Cave Trail, where you can actually enter the cave once you reach it and see all the beautiful crystals! This trail is also rated challenging so take heed.
- For an easier hike, try the Frio Canyon Trail, which is almost three miles and should take you between one and two hours to complete. You’ll get gorgeous views of the mountains on all sides.
- If water activities are more appealing than hiking, you’re in luck! The Frio River (Frio is the Spanish word for cold) offers up lots of engaging activities for park goers of all ages.
- Head out in a canoe or kayak and explore the river
- Swim in the Frio or tube the river (a tube shuttle runs for the Garner State Park Concessions)
- Go fishing
- Try your hand (or foot, actually!) at paddleboating with a rented paddleboat
- After you’ve hiked and swam, try one of these other fun activities at Garner State Park:
- Play a round of mini golf
- Dance the night away at the park’s concession stand in the summer like guests have been doing since the 1940s!
- Go geocaching throughout the park
Now pack up your camping supplies and hit the road. The gorgeous views from the Texas Hill Country await!
Garner State Park: Where to Stay
If you are planning a trip to Garner State Park, consider booking a stay at Parkview Riverside RV. Parkview is located directly across the Frio River from Garner State Park and offers competitive rates for RV owners. In addition to an air-conditioned bath house, there are 95 hook up sites available as well as a camp convenience store, coin-operated laundry and much more. Ask about the low rates for Winter Texans!